My brilliant friend: Elena Ferrante


I want to start by saying that I almost threw this book across the room after reading the ending because I was so dissatisfied with it, but after discovering that it is the first in a series I am much more content with it and want to read more. I enjoyed being presented with this coming-of-age story format through the lens of a revenge novel as it added immediate intrigue. This change added a twist to the coming-of-age genre that I believe helps to make it new in a way and easier to engage with, which I feel fits into the themes of this course very well. One thing about this book that I found intriguing is I couldn't tell if the relationship between Lila and Elena was a healthy one. In many ways, Elena was a perfect friend to Lila abandoning the island of Ischia to help Lila through her tough times “ I had received a letter from a friend, that my friend needed me, and so I was thinking of leaving before the appointed time” (230). Additionally, Elena always seems to hold a great admiration for Lila but it is constantly accompanied by a need for competition and a sense of jealousy “Lila, my contemporary, was engaged to a man, Stefano, and it would be humiliating to be with a boy” (256). In the section of the book that takes place during Stefano and Lila’s courtship, she can be seen gossiping and bad-mouthing Lila “[Ada] said she thought Lila was ridiculous going around always fresh from the hairdresser …We all… laughed” (268); While at the same time fervently defending her “On those occasions I was the only one who did not remain silent but explicitly disagreed with Pasquale’s criticisms” (267).  Furthermore, though Lila is often somewhat cold and aloof towards Elena, she still serves to motivate Elena “She wanted simply to meet once a day, in the public gardens, even just for an hour, before dinner, and I was to bring the Latin books” (107). Their friendship benefits both parties however it seems there are lingering feelings of envy, that seem to affect the sanctity of their relationship in my view. Elena herself says “ It was as if, because of an evil spell, the joy or sorrow of one required the sorrow or joy of the other” (257) even our narrator can acknowledge the “evil” element that sometimes takes root in their friendship. Though I like both characters and do not doubt that their influence on each other was helpful and comforting at times, I wonder if they would have been happier having never known each other. 

My question is did you think Elena and Lila’s relationship was a healthy one? Do you think Lila’s influence on Elena was a positive or negative thing?


Comments

  1. "I want to start by saying that I almost threw this book across the room after reading the ending because I was so dissatisfied with it,"

    Ha! But what did you find dissatisfying about the ending?

    "a revenge novel"

    And explain this... who's taking revenge on whom?

    "Elena was a perfect friend to Lila abandoning the island of Ischia to help Lila through her tough times"

    NB doesn't she leave the island because of Donato (Nino's father), rather than to help Lila?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts