Final Post


I want to say that I greatly enjoyed this class even though it was not what I expected. This was my first time experiencing a class structured like this and I was a bit apprehensive about how it would go but I enjoyed the informality of the blog posts and the classroom activities a lot. For the novels I was split, I loved a lot of the earlier ones we read and hated a lot of the ones later on. My favourites would have to be Mad Toy by Roberto Arlt, Shrouded Woman by Luisa Bombal, and my all-time favourite is Nada by Carmen Laforet. I will be recommending all these titles to my friends in the future as they as introduced some sort of new perspective to what would otherwise be a rather common theme seen in a book. In Roberto Arlt’s book, I like the subversion of expectations that comes from the main character gaining happiness through betrayal. Though I am a firm believer that snitches get stitches I think that this ending made me see the whole book in a different unique way. For Bombal’s Shrouded Woman, the common theme of death is given a refreshing new perspective by making the narrator the dead woman. Finally, for Nada, though I feel that the main character’s insanity from hunger added a distinctive aspect to the novel it doesn't as a whole differ very much from other coming-of-age stories, but I still really love it I can't put my finger on why I just think it's a great novel; It's super entertaining and I found Andrea to be a fun main character to follow.

I think my least favourite books were Money to Burn by Piglia, Time of the Doves by Lispector, and Deep Rivers by Arguedas. I thought Money to Burn was just straight-up whack the whole story felt like I was tripping on LSD, Time of the Doves was just satisfying for me mostly because I am a person who needs a happy ending, and I just found Deep Rivers to be a bit boring. However, I do feel I have learned from this class that there is always an element I can appreciate in a novel even if I hate it. Even though I was thoroughly unimpressed by Time of the Doves the lecture and the group classes did help me appreciate the Lispectors implementation of an author written by an author. Overall I feel I will be less likely to gravitate away from books that don't initially seem like my cup of tea as I never really would have picked up books like Nada or Shrouded Woman.

 My question is what is one unexpected thing this course taught you?


Comments

  1. Vibha, I'm glad you enjoyed the course! NB I think you mean Hour of the Star, not The Time of the Doves, right? And even if you didn't like it, I think it's a good thing to learn that "there is always an element [you] can appreciate in a novel even if [you] hate it." We don't have to like everything, but we can still (I hope) have interesting things to say even about what we don't like.

    Thanks for all of your contributions, and have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts