Luisa Bombal's "Shrouded Woman"

 I want to start by saying I found this twist on the classic trope of reminiscing on life before death to be a very wonderful and refreshing read. Luisa Bonbal manages to captivate and enthrall readers throughout the book with every new character that is introduced and how they play a role in Ana-Maria’s life. No relationship within this book is without blemishes, even ones she recalls in a favourable light. For example, her son Fred seems to be her favourite of all her children she remarks that “the child seemed unconscious of this sixth sense which linked him to earth and to which is secret” (212), she also adds that even when he grew up into an insolent and robust boy she continued to care for him as if he were a very delicate creature“ (212). However, despite Ana-Maria’s kind disposition towards him, we can see through his treatment of Sylvia that he may not be as innocent as his mother believes him to be. Even though he is adamant that he loves Sylia his unconscious desire for Maria Griselda is ultimately undeniable and causes Sylvia to kill herself. I believe this contrast in Ana-Maria’s perspective of Fred allows the reader to make their conclusions on Fred’s true character. Additionally, even though it is clear Ana-Maria loved Ricardo deeply she also consistently emphasizes his desertion of her wondering if  “that sudden cowardly desertion of me, did it result from a peremptory order of [his] parents of from some rebelliousness in [his] own impetuous nature” (167). We are first shown the effect that Ricardo’s love has on Ana-Maria and then we are shown the tragic results of his desertion of her, the results of which she carries for a majority of her life. 


Secondly, an idea that I found deeply intriguing that relates to the lecture, is the idea that dead or alive there is something decorative about women “A woman remains subject to the gaze of others”. I found this to be particularly salient in the revolver scene that occurs earlier in the book, in which she hides a large revolver in her closet and later takes it out to the woods and shoots a tree, seeing the carnage it causes she decides not to kill herself with it. In the text she remarks “There in the trunk of the tree what a hideous gap, jagged and black from gunpowder! My breast torn thus, my flesh, my veins scattered… No I would never have the courage” (168), she goes on to say “No I would never have the courage! and yet I wanted to die, I swear to you, I wanted to die” (168). Despite her inconsolable feelings, she is unable to stray from this societal standard that she is decorative and that her worth is intertwined with her beauty even in death. This especially stood out to me because there have been many studies in psychology that found results similar to what was demonstrated in this scene. Women are less likely to pick violent methods of suicide such as hanging or shooting one’s self. One of the reasons for this may be because of the societal standard engrained in many women to stay beautiful for others.


Comments

  1. Your post made me notice that in the novel there is also a certain dramatic element that in my opinion is derived from Romanticism as a literary movement. However, I perceive it within the novel as an element that is also criticized, especially regarding the expectations about gender roles of the time. Don't forget to leave us your questions at the end of your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts